As you may have seen on Fstoppers or on this blog, I did one of my dream shoots with an actor wearing an original style Robocop costume along with his replica of the OCP Robocop police Taurus. The Robo suit is actually made from original molds used to create the actual costume used in the first Robocop movie. Pretty cool, right? Well as I’ve discovered, this is also a dream shoot for many of you as well. Now, I cannot setup a shoot for you, BUT I can let you play with up to 8 of my original Phase One IQ140 RAW files from the photoshoot. Even better, if you do a great job, you may win prizes and accolades!
The general idea is to download and use one or all of the provided RAW files (bottom on this post) and have a good time retouching/creating a composite from this shoot. You can put Robocop on Mars, in the middle of a gunfight, having dinner with you in a family photo, etc. The sky is the limit… although, lets avoid him doing anything that may be considered offensive to the general public (this is the internet, I had to add that disclaimer haha).
If you’re looking for inspiration, here are examples from my previous retouching contests for reference:
Video Of The Original Photoshoot:
Your Panel Of Retouching-Celebrity Judges
We are VERY lucky to have a panel my extremely talented retoucher/photographer friends to sift through your entries and choose the honorable mentions as well as the grand prize winner! Pratik Naik, Clint Davis (previous retouching contest winner), Justin Paguia (my own longest time retoucher), Julia Kuzmenko, Glyn Dewis, and myself will all be judging. I am honored that they are agreeing to help in the fun! They are all so incredibly talented and good people to boot!
All honorable mentions will be posted on Fstoppers.com along with links to their websites/online portfolios.
Along with the honor of being named one of the most creative and talented retouchers by our judges, the grand prize winner will receive the following prizes:
- Full copy of Phase One’s Capture One Pro 7 software (retail $299): This is what I use (they put my photo on the box). It’s the best tethering and RAW processing solution on the market. It actually is the best software for processing Phase One RAW files like the ones you will be downloading below, although it does an awesome job processing every other major camera maker’s RAW files as well. I heavily suggest you download the free 30 day trial of Capture One Pro 7 and use it to process the RAW files from this contest.
- Case Logic Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Backpack (retail $99.99): I have this bag and it’s awesome. It fits my 15″ Macbook Pro, iPad, Wacom tablet, GPS, chargers, etc. It’s also great for travel because you can zip it open without having to pull your laptop out at the airport security lines. It also has a sleeve in the back to easily slide onto your roller bag securely.
- Tether Tools Starter Kit ($84 value) from my friends at Tether Tools. This is an awesome prize by itself and great for any on-location photographer or tech. They promised to supply you with a tether cable of the winner’s choosing. The guys at TetherTools.com are awesome. They make everything in my on-location tethering kit from my tether table, to my USB cable from my camera to the computer, iPad holder for displaying images to my clients, and anything else you could ever imaging wanting on set. Check out www.TetherTools.com
- You have approximately 9 days. Deadline is 11:59PM (East Coast US Time) February 14, 2014 to submit your images. You can either email me (douglas[at]sondersphotography[dot]com) directly or post a link to your edits as a comment on this post. Make sure to include your name and a link to your webpage (if you have one) so I can include it in the post if you make the finals or win.
- Grand prize winner and honorable mentions will be announced by February 21, 2014. Stay tuned to this blog and my Facebook page for updates.
- Go nuts. Create the coolest, wildest, most creative retouching job on these photo…but keep it clean please! Put Robocop in any serious or wacky scenario that your mind can create. I’ve included 8 files with different elements for you to combine as you see fit! You can use 1 or elements from all 8 files as you wish. You can also combine elements from your own or legally acquired stock imagery as long as you include elements from at least one of the Robocop files supplied below.
- This is an international contest, so anyone on this planet can enter.
- Submitted images should be at least 1000 pixels on its longest side.
- The fine print: I still own the copyright of these images so no going and using this in advertisements you crazy kids, but you are welcome to post your entry in your online and print portfolios as examples of your retouching work, of course. I’m a kind fellow, but my lawyers are not
- Have fun!
NOTE: I highly suggest downloading the free 30 day trial of Capture One Pro 7 software and using it to process these RAW files.