A lot of people message and ask what I use on the road, considering I am constantly on the road travelling for shoots. I hope this answers your questions. I provided hotlinks throughout the list in case you wanted to pickup any of this out for yourself. Feel free to message/comment with any questions you may have. I did a post like this awhile back, but since I’ve bought a bunch of new gear this year, here is an updated list of what I carry to most photo shoots in my Think Tank Aiport Security bag (the Airport Security is airplane carry-on legal size).
- Phase One 645DF+ Body
- Phase One IQ140 Medium Format Digital Back
- Schneider 80mm, 55mm, 28mm Leaf Shutter Lenses with up to 1/1600 flash sync speed. Also the 75-150 leaf shutter, which is one of my favorites and has 1/1000 flash sync speed.
- Canon 5D Mark 3 (backup camera body) equipped with the vertical battery grip (a must for any serious professional shooter that uses the Canon 5D Mark 2)
- 580 EX speedlight flash
- Digital sensor dust blower by Giottos
- Camera chargers and extra batteries
- Long firewire cable for tethered shooting
- Extra CF card reader
- Variety of Sandisk Extreme Pro CF cards. I primarily use the 16 gig Sandisk Extreme Pro CF cards.
- Extra pocketwizard transmitters and receivers (keep the main set of transmitters and receivers in my pelican lighting cases)
- Canon 16-35mm 2.8L & Canon 24-70mm 2.8L (my 2 favorite Canon lenses)
- Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro One of my favorite lenses right now. So sharp! (See the lens in action here)
- Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS (should always carry at least one long telephoto) & sometimes also my Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS, but only when I need it because its a big heavy piece of glass to travel with
- 2x Vagabond Mini Battery Packs – TSA freaks out if you check these battery packs but you can carry them as a carry-on for some odd reason. I always travel with these to power my portrait strobes in my separate lighting case. Great to have even if you are in a location with power outlets. Sometimes you want to hide a light somewhere far from a plug! They also come handy in a pinch if you get stuck in a power outage.
- Microfiber lens cleaning cloth
- Square credit card reader… in case clients like to pay immediately
- Finally and most importantly… extra pens and business cards!
- 15″ Mac Book Pro with 2 batteries
- iPad3 (sometimes a second iPad as well) – I use this for wireless tethering/camera control, image review with clients, and watching movies and reading books (kindle app) during my constant travel. It also always has a copy of my portfolio downloaded to it if I want to show off my work to a new/old client.
- Garmin GPS because I am in rental cars in strange places all of the time. I love my Nuvi 2555LMT because its compact, fast, lifetime map updates, and even has live traffic updates.
- Wireless router – not for internet, but to create a dedicated on-set wireless network between my iPad, laptop, and cameras for tethering purposes thanks to Capture Pilot and Capture One software.
- 2 sets of headphones – I always need one for when I run or use the hotel gym (always bring my running shoes) and I am always destroying or losing a pair.
- 4G data card for my laptop, because being connected on the road is crucial
- CF card reader
- Various apple chargers for iPhone and iPad
Again, I hope this helps! Feel free to post questions.
If you like this post, you may enjoy reading about what’s in my lighting case (click here).