Well I wrapped up 2013 with the ultimate personal photoshoot (well, my definition of it anyhow). I’ve always wanted to do my own retro Robocop-themed photoshoot and I flew to Phoenix Arizona to do just that. Why Arizona? How did I get a Robocop suit and Robocop 1990’s Ford Taurus police car? I’ll be releasing a full post with all of the details, behind the scenes video, edited set of images, and will even be giving away posters! Stay tuned guys.
Sean Madden, creative director from the ad agencyBrains On Fire, reached out to me earlier this year and asked if given an arsenal of stunt drivers, the newest high performance BMW’s, and a closed race course, could I create a 58 foot long composite print for BMW. My answer? “When can I start?”.
Read more about this shoot via my full post on Fstoppers.com
Every year, as the holiday season comes around, people will email and message me asking what to buy themselves or a loved one to start or expand upon their love for photography. A camera that offers interchangeable lenses, easy to use, good quality, compact, reliable, and can be had for under $1000 with a lens. I have that camera for you…
Canon has always made dependable high quality cameras for beginners and pros alike. When I’m not shooting with my Phase One medium format, I use my Canon cameras. In fact, I have probably half a dozen Canon DSLR’s sitting around the office for various purposes from still to video. Recently, Canon announced a cool new camera for their entry-level DSLR “Rebel” line called the SL1 that you should be pretty excited about. Here’s why:
- The SL1 is extremely light and compact as crop sensor DSLR cameras go. According to Canon: “For ultra portability with a minimal footprint, the EOS Rebel SL1 is the world’s smallest and lightest digital SLR. Weighing in at approximately 13 ounces, the EOS Rebel SL1’s astonishingly compact size does not compromise its excellent performance as a member of the Canon EOS family”
- It is a very respectable 18 megapixel still photos (RAW and JPG)
- Has an ISO range of 100-25,600, which makes it VERY capable in low light in comparison to previous models
- It shoots FULL 1080p HD video at 30p and 24p. It also shoots slow motion up to 60 frames per second.
- Its autofocus system is not as awesome as a $3k camera, but it will do a solid job for you.
- It accepts Canon’s FULL line of lenses (even the big expensive ones that the pros use)
- It also has a pop up flash installed and a flash hotshoe that accepts Canon’s full line of external flashes when your shooter wants to expand the camera’s capabilities
- The best part?! It can be currently had WITH an 18-55mm starter lens for a little over $500! It wasn’t that long ago you would have to pay over $1k for features like this.
Interested in this camera? Head on over to Amazon to order one today. They also list all of the specs in great detail.
Do you have a Digital SLR camera, but only know how to use it in automatic mode? Treating it like a glorified point and shoot? Interested in photography, but need a good foundation course? Let me fix that and teach you how to be a better photographer in my 3 hour intro to DSLR photography workshop. We will even go over on-camera flashes, RAW processing, and lens choice.
Doing sessions in October and November at the Living Social teaching facility at 918 F Street NW, Washington DC. CLICK HERE
Questions? Comment below.
Adobe has just decided that you can now download the Creative Suite that they originally offered in 2005 FOR FREE! This includes Photoshop CS2, InDesign CS2, Illustrator CS2, In Design CS2, and Premiere Pro CS2. Sure, the CS2 creative suite may be nearly 10 years old, but they still can do a great job… especially if you are on no budget. Pretty crazy! Jump on it now.
Download available here, with Windows and OS X versions available.
UPDATE: I hear their servers are being hammered right now, so if it doesn’t work right now, try again later.
This is from a fun personal Max Mad inspired shoot I did a month or two back in the Mojave desert in California. I have a full behind the scenes video and more photos coming, but in the meantime, here are a few teasers for you. I hope you’re as excited as I am!