We all know Twitter has become an integral part of the social networking community, but what has it done for you? I’m not claiming to be a Twitter expert, but I have noticed how it has changed the way I communicate with the fine folks of the interweb.
- Going Viral – There’s a greater chance for what I share to go viral with retweets. Now, whenever I write a blog post and share it on twitter, if my followers have a chance to “retweet” or share it with THEIR followers, and so on. This has happened with a few of my more popular posts, which have seen thousands of more views thanks to the twitter community.
- Hiring Crew and Extras – Easier to find production assistance outside of my region when I travel for jobs. As many of you know, I travel a LOT for my shoots and I am often in need of assistants, digital techs, makeup, extras, etc. in markets I don’t usually work in. I put out a call to twitter and on many occasions, I’ve found the talent/crew I have needed for various shoots.
- Inspiration – I enjoy following other photographers as well as people I find generally inspiring. They will post links of their own work, articles they find helpful, inspiring quotes, and photo/video tech news and reviews.
- New Friends IRL – As funny as it may sound, I’ve actually made new friends from communicating in the Twitter community. I’ve met folks I will grab a beer with, exchange ideas, or ask advice when I am in foreign markets.
- New Jobs – People have liked my work enough to share it with their friends and family on twitter, which has led to new clients reaching out to hire me.
- News – I’d like to think I keep myself fairly well informed with current events, but nothing has delivered news more immediately to me than Twitter. When the earthquake in Japan happened, it was my twitter feed that informed me first. Celebrity death or any other major news tragedy, most likely I saw it first on twitter. Interesting financial or health news and articles? Often I’ve found them from twitter links shared by people I follow.
How about you? What has twitter done for you?