With My 30th Birthday Here: Lessons I’ve Learned From My 20′s
This is a good representation of my 20's. Partying with Lea Thompson and a Back To The Future DeLorean
Today I turn 30. It feels very surreal. Sure, I know I have plenty of life to live (unless I do something stupid and dangerous lol), but I remember when I thought being 30 was “old” and yet, I still feel like a kid. Although, like the saying goes, you’re only as young as you feel I suppose. Anyway, here are some things I learned about life during my crazy 20′s:
- Contrary to popular belief, frosted blonde hair and an eyebrow ring was not as cool as I thought
- Surround yourself with amazing people, and hopefully some of their greatness will rub off on you
- Dont forget to tell those you care about how you feel, you never know when they may just… disappear
- Never fall for a girl that can’t make you laugh… a lot… and that can’t inspire you to be a better man
- Sure, most girls love flowers, but the coolest girls love a good mix cd… and David Bowie
- I used to think life would one day start… after college, with a wife and kids and career, but then you realize, as cliche as it sounds, its all living, there is no ordinary moment, there is no pre-game
- Don’t forget to read something once in awhile. Knowledge is one of the world’s greatest gifts
- Send thank you notes. Be grateful for the generosity of others
- People don’t always recognize what you’ve done to help. Don’t expect a parade. Help because you know its right and just.
- Travel the world (I need to do more myself). Go where you are uncomfortable. Push your boundaries. Feed your soul
- Help your fellow man, you never know when the roles will reverse
- Take care of your dog and they will love you unconditionally
- Do something stupid once in awhile. Makes for great stories later. Buy me a beer, I’ll share one of many.
- Take care of your body now, or you’ll pay for it later
- No matter how many times you forget to remove the lens cap, people always find it SO HILARIOUS
- Put the camera down sometimes during your personal time. It detaches you from experiencing the moment yourself.
- A good photographer can make a creative image, no matter how good or poor the quality of their optics (but it doesn’t hurt to have the best).
- Love. It’s passionate. It’s heart aching. It’s irrational. It’s life changing. It’s empowering. It’s the best drug, even when it rips you up sometimes. You always want more.
- It’s never too late to be an old fashioned romantic. Sure it’s out of style, but it just feels right.
- Learn from your mistakes, no matter how F#&K!NG stupid you feel. Make the most of a bad situation (not always easy, but you gotta try)
- Everything you need to know you can learn from the films Robocop, Billy Madison, Total Recall, and Back To The Future.
- One of my favorites… in the words of my beloved grandpa Leon Sonders “be a mensche” (a man of honor). I hope he’s proud of who I’ve become.
If you want to give me something for my birthday, please donate to this charitable cause. Thank you!