Adam Lambert from American Idol Photoshoot – Quick Single-Light Portraits

Had a shoot with Adam Lambert earlier this week in snowy New York City. You may recognize him from last season’s American Idol.

As with most entertainment / celebrity photoshoots, I only had 10 minutes to do an entire shoot with the subject and very little setup time. I opted to keep my lighting simple and focus on cool backgrounds/surfaces, and the subject’s camera interaction.

For the shot on the maroon background, that was just a wall in the corner of the lobby in the entrance of the concert venue. I used a single photoflex large softbox and kept it fairly close to the subject to give a soft, yet narrower light source to create a little more dramatic shadows and a slight vignette effect where the light fell off on the edges.

For the back hallway / door shot I used a single Alien Bees Ring Flash. Let me tell you, when you are in a pinch or have a limited amount of time a ring flash can really be a savior. When used as a main light, it creates a really cool flat light (as long as you stand fairly close to your subject) and also can be used as a fill light when using a high main light source (a softbox aiming down at the subject for example).

Check back soon for some more cool updates :)

More of my photography: http://www.SondersPhotography.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/douglassonders

Follow my production company fanpage on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/8112studios

An example of when I used a Ring Flash as a single main light source in a similar situation. This is the band Phoenix.

An example of when I used a Ring Flash as a secondary fill light on a Chuck Liddell shoot. The softbox was the main light.

Adam was really fun and easy to work with. Really nice guy. I hung out for his show following our shoot. He definitely brings a lot of personality to the stage and had fun.

Shot this with an AB Ring Flash as a single light source

Taken with a single large softbox as a main light

Ok, this one was easy. This was a set with a bunch of kino flo light banks used for a video interview that I snagged. Shot with my 70-200 2.8L for a shallow depth of field.

18 Responses to “Adam Lambert from American Idol Photoshoot – Quick Single-Light Portraits”

1. Terry Simmons says:

You can’t go wrong with the Adam Lambert as the subject! He is the definition of ART, glam and beauty! Gorgeous photos!!!! Love them.

2. Woobies says:

You did a fantastic job. It’s no wondertop photographers love to shoot Adam. His gorgeous face, body and expressiveness are just as versitile and uniquely artistic as his incredible voice. Movie Star is definetly in his near future. What an amazing gift we have been given.

3. phone it in says:

Love the pictures. Really nice job.

4. Hanna says:

Beautiful! I love the last one the best. Lucky you got to meet and work with him!!

5. Janna says:

New pics!! Thank you, these pics of Adam are great!! Love the one with doors.

6. [...] bilder från Douglas Sonders som fotograferade Adam‘ i helgen som var i NY, innan han gjorde Stripped konserten för I Heart [...]

7. Dakota Collins says:

Great photos. These are definitely among my favorites, and there are hundreds. I love the “just Adam” photos, no fancy costumes, melodrama, etc. He is such a fabulous looking man and certainly knows how to work with the photographer…. but 10 minutes? Did I misundertand that?

8. [...] Sanders wrote a blog post about Adam’s photoshoot! Some UK promo info from an IDF fan! We were shown video clips that [...]

9. RandomizeME says:

So cool to see the photos! The fans thank you!

10. Christina says:

Love the shallow depth of field and intense color in that last one.

11. [...] did I, until I read Douglas Sonders’ blog about shooting Adam in NYC last weekend. He shares some of his tricks and a few photos: As with [...]

12. Adam lover101 says:

Woooooooooooow. Those are beautiful.I was about to melt.

13. Melissa says:

Hes so goregous

14. Linda says:

Great shots. See if you can snag Adam again for another photo shoot. I’d love to see more!

15. Debbie says:

So glad you tweeted about Adam Lambert’s photo session. I hadn’t seen these photos since they were done. Always love looking at photos of Adam. He is so photogenic.

Please do more sessions with him in the future.

Thank you !!

16. I don’t watch much TV, but, I saw him on the Ellen show a few months ago and thought he was terribly cute and cool. Love the maroon background and how the ring light brings out the spikey look of his hair.

17. Shana says:

I love Adam pictures
    thnks <3

18. could you please show adam micheal lambert photoshoots????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!