Last week I did a review of my favorite camera bag, the Think Tank Aiport Security. This week I’ll go into more detail and explain the contents of my primary travel camera bag (this does not include any of my lighting cases that also fly with me… that is entirely a different entry). A lot of people have emailed me asking what I use on the road, considering I am constantly on the road doing shoots. I hope this answers your questions. I provided hotlinks throughout the list in case you wanted to pickup any of this out for yourself. Feel free to message/comment with any questions you may have.
- Canon 5D Mark 2 (primary camera body) equipped with the Canon BG-E6 vertical battery grip (a must for any serious professional shooter that uses the Canon 5D Mark 2)
- Canon 7D(backup body, with more back at the office)
- Canon G12 (behind the scenes video / time lapse / “fun” travel camera)
- Canon Powershot SD1400 IS “Point & Shoot” (pocket camera for night events / bars / clubs) This little camera is so durable and takes great photos.
- 2 x 580 EX speedlight flashes and 1 Speedlight Transmitter ST-E2
- Sennheiser MKE 400 shotgun microphone for the Canon 5D Mark 2 video function (Desciption here)
- Gary Fong Lightsphere attachment (used on a 580 EX flash when doing the occasional event, this little accessory is amazing and makes shooting with on-camera flash a snap)
- Digital sensor dust blower by Giottos
- Camera chargers for all 4 cameras and extra batteries
- Variety of Sandisk Extreme III CF cards. I primarily use the 16 gig extreme III cards.
- Extra pocketwizard transmitter and receiver (keep the main set of transmitters and receivers in my pelican lighting cases)
- Canon 16-35mm 2.8L & Canon 24-70mm 2.8L (my 2 primary / most-used lenses)
- Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro One of my favorite lenses right now. So sharp! (See the lens in action here)
- Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS (should always carry at least one long telephoto) & sometimes also my Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS, but only when I need it because its a big heavy piece of glass to travel with
- Canon 15mm 2.8L “Fisheye” (one of my oldest lenses… you never know when youre going to need it!)
- Canon EF 2X II Extender (sometimes you just need a little more distance on your telephoto, but at the cost of a stop of light…this is best used in bright situations)
- Microfiber lens cleaning cloth
- Speedlight battery pack (only when necessary… when I expect to walk around shooting with a speedlight)
- Small Garmin Nuvi GPS… I spend many of my days in a rental car in strange places… a GPS always comes in handy!
- Finally and most importantly… extra pens and business cards!
Again, I hope this helps! Feel free to post questions.
If you like this post, you may enjoy reading about what’s in my lighting case (click here).
For more product reviews CLICK HERE.